Monday, June 3, 2013

Struggles lead to growth

Hey, family & friends!
Not going to lie, this was probably the hardest week in my mission so far.  I've been stressed, discouraged, down, even trunky!  Sister Rye and I had a very long companionship inventory at the beginning of the week, the work in our area was starting to stagnate, and I was upset at myself for letting these things bother me.  

But on Saturday, we found a family.  Rick, a less-active member, is SUPER funny and tried to act all hardened towards the missionaries and everything, but later confessed that he knows he needs to go back to church and take his family with him.  His wife, Tanya, grew up in an atheist household, so although she's not an atheist herself, she doesn't know anything about religion at all.  Her daughter, Hallie (we didn't meet her then, but we're going to!), has gone to church with friends for a few months and is going to Girls' Camp next week.  They're all amazing!  Oh my gosh!  He set up a return appointment with dinner and everything!  SO excited to teach them and get to know them!  They're amazing!!

And after we walked out of that room, all the negative feelings I'd had that week vanished.  They were all worth it.  

I know Heavenly Father let me struggle this week so I could learn to work through it.  Because we worked hard this week!  We worked to our breaking points!  And because we dug deep, because we stayed faithful even when we didn't want to, He 1. taught me a lesson in patience, humility, and diligence, and 2. rewarded us for our hard work.  I'm grateful for trials.  We get trials to help us grow (if we stay faithful during them), and I feel like I've grown so much since the beginning of the week!  Just.... good!!  I love it!!  And by the way, Sister Rye and I are working harder, having more fun, and are closer than we've been thus far.  I love her and am learning so much from her!  I'm so blessed to have been given two outstanding companions and friends.  And Sister Rye and I are WWIII'ing it with our nerf guns.

But trials weren't the only thing that helped me this week.  We had Zone Conference!  And Elder Don R. Clarke came!!!  He was SOOO amazing!!  He covered a ton of great material, but the thing that stuck out the most to me was being the kind of missionary that goes over to someone's house at 5:00am to make sure they don't smoke then.  The kind of missionary that makes things happen!  That works!  Hard!!  I felt like I wanted to tear down a brick house by the end.  

But I didn't.  That would be rude.

So.... chose not to be baptized this week.  Dang!!  It was pretty sad, and we all knew she was ready, but she didn't feel ready herself.  So we're going to focus on reading the Book of Mormon with her, because the Book of Mormon testifies of Christ, the reality of Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, and the verity of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  

Manuel and Julio.... we transitioned them to their respective missionaries yesterday.  Since they don't live in our area, we don't really have jurisdiction over their learning.  We had a great lesson on the Plan of Salvation with them yesterday, then encouraged them to go to the wards in their own areas to meet their proper missionaries (and gave those proper missionaries their information).  It's sad to say goodbye to them, but this is what needs to happen, and they'll be just fine.  

They got contact with Welecele's mom!  She's still not quite supportive.  We talked to Wele about having courage through adversity.  We've gotten a feeling that if she gets baptized on her scheduled day, things will work our with her family.  

There is so much to be thankful for!  I love this Gospel.  It fills my life with peace, and will continue to fill it with peace in the eternities.  I love my Savior.  He walked alone so I never have to.  The Book of Mormon strengthens my testimony of Him every time I read it.  Watch Elder Holland's testimony of the Book of Mormon "Mormon Message."  It's amazing. 

I love you all so much.  I'm so grateful I can live with you all forever!  You're stuck with me for eternity.... sorry ;)

 
Love, Sister Jacobson



P.s. I didn't take any pictures this week, so here are some that I didn't send:

Four Sisters that came out together from the Missionary Training Center



 Sister Rye and I...we're charmers!

 We Love getting surprise pictures of Katie with friends who run into her on the campus of Brigham Young University-Idaho!

BYU-Idaho Katie Sightings!    Abigail Tucker,(top of page)  Dan Hulse (former New York Rochester Missionary) and Lizzy Belnap
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment